Yield: 9 inch cake
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 + 1/8 cup Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup boiling water
24 oz cream cheese
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp flour
1 cup sour cream
3 tbsp strawberry extract
about 20 drops red food color
Vanilla Bean Mousse
1 1/2 tsp powdered gelatin
1 1/2 tablespoons water
2 1/3 cups heavy cream, divided
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
Whipped Vanilla Icing
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
To make the Chocolate Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Put all dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together.
3. Add eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
4. Add vanilla to boiling water and add to mixture.
5. Mix until smooth.
6. Pour into prepared 9 inch pan and bake 35-38 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes in pan, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
8. Once cooled, cut off cake dome with a long serrated knife.
To make the Strawberry Cheesecake:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
2. In a large bowl, blend the cream cheese, sugar and flour. Use low speed to keep less air from getting into the batter.
3. Add the sour cream and 2 eggs. Beat until just combined.
4. Add other 2 eggs, strawberry extract and red color. Beat until combined.
5. Pour the filling into the pan. Drop onto the counter a few times to release any air bubbles.
6. Wrap bottom of pan in aluminum foil and prepare it for a water bath.
7. Place foil wrapped pan in a another pan large enough for a water bath. Fill water pan with warm water about half way up the sides of the springform pan.
8. Bake for 1 hour and 35 minutes.
9. Turn off heat and leave in oven with door closed for 20 minutes or until set. Center of cheesecake will not look fully cooked, but will continue to cook in the oven.
10. Open oven door halfway and let cool for about 10 minutes.
11. Refrigerate until firm 5-6 hours.
12. Remove cheesecake from springform pan.
To make the Vanilla Bean Mousse:
1. In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the water, let stand for about 5 minutes. Place mixer bowl and whisk attachment into the freezer for about 10 minutes.
2. Take bowl out and whisk out of freezer and whisk 2 cups heavy cream at high speed until it begins to thicken.
3. Add sugar and vanilla bean paste and continue whisking on high until stiff peaks form.
4. Heat remaining heavy cream in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or until warm.
5. Add gelatin to heavy cream and stir to combine. Allow to cool.
6. Add gelatin mixture to whipped cream. Stir to incorporate and whip back to stiff peaks, if needed.
To begin putting it all together:
1. Prepare the same springform pan you used to make the cheesecake and cake. Put parchment paper on the bottom and around the edges, sticking up above the top edge of the pan.
2. Place the cheesecake into the cake pan.
3. Pour the vanilla bean mousse on top of the cheesecake and spread evenly.
4. Refrigerate until set, about 2 1/2 hours.
Once the mousse has set, make the Whipped Vanilla Icing:
1. Put mixing bowl and whisk attachment in freezer for about 10 minutes.
2. Remove bowl and whisk from freezer and whip cream on high until it begins to thicken.
3. Add vanilla extract and powdered sugar and whip on high until thick and creamy.
To finish off the cake:
1. Get cheesecake/mousse out of refrigerator.
2. Place chocolate cake on a cake board, or the plate you will serve it on.
3. Remove cheesecake and mousse layers from springform pan.
4. Spread a thin layer of icing on top of the chocolate cake. You can add a little cocoa to the icing for that layer if you don't want to see the white icing between the cake and cheesecake layer.
5. Place the cheesecake and mousse layers on top of the cake, using the cheesecake to lift it. The cheesecake should end up as the middle layer, with the cake on bottom and the mousse on top.
6. Ice the cake with the whipped icing.
7. Separate remaining icing into three bowls and color one brown with cocoa and one pink with food color. Pipe the three different colors onto the top of the cake in a pattern.
7. Refrigerate until ready to serve.