Yield: makes 14 cupcakes
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
3 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 and 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
Cinnamon Sugar Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp water or milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add butter, egg whites, vanilla, sour cream and milk and mix on medium speed until smooth.
4. Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
5. Add cupcake liners to cupcake pan.
6. Place 1 tablespoon of batter into each cupcake liner, spread evenly.
7. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp of cinnamon sugar onto batter.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7.
9. Add one more large tablespoon of batter to each cupcake liner.
10. Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon sugar on top of each cupcake if you want. Liners should be about half full.
11. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs
12. Allow to cool for 1 minute, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
13. To make the icing, beat the shortening and butter until smooth.
14. Slowly add 3 cups of powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
15. Mix in the cinnamon, vanilla extract and 1 tbsp water.
16. Add the rest of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add more water to get the right consistency, then ice the cupcakes.